So ever since we first discussed what we could do for our poster project in school I have been looking at TV in a different light. One of the options we discussed was the possibility of coding for the perception that television presents about males and fathers. So as this was at the back of my mind I started to notice how often fathers are portrayed as being kind of slow and so I started as a mini experiment to flip through channel and to see what shows I noticed this in. A few of the shows that I saw that were probably the worst are George Lopez, King of the Hill, the Simpsons, even shows such as Full House, and many commercials do the same. The thought that I had was that in today’s world there is no way that producers could get away with doing this the other way around in such an obvious manner putting the mothers in this role. As this was running through my mind I also started to realize that television does the same thing to many authority figures and the one I noticed most often were police men, I specify men because while it does happen I see more men played in this role than women. Shows like Psych are a prime example of this.
I agree with you: there are very few positive portrayals of fathers in the media! They are usually shown as lazy and a bit dim-witted.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my biggest pet peeves about commercials especially. Dads/men are ALWAYS idiots! It drives me insane because you're right, if it were the other way around everyone would be UP IN ARMS about it. Poor guys!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree! It's so sad to me that we often down play the importance of fathers in the home.
ReplyDelete