Friday, March 2, 2012

Fifth Element

So I am sitting here watching Fifth Element and I thought it was really interesting to see what the people who made the movie thought fashion would be like in the future as well as their perception of what urban life would be like. The outfits range from completely drab to outrageous concoctions of plastic. The city is sky high with traffic on all levels and a layer of smog so thick at the bottom you can’t see through it. Then you see the scene where lelou types in war on the computer trying to learn about human nature and she becomes so depressed and can’t see why she should protect the world when we just destroy it. And Corbin explains that there are good reasons to save it and the reason given is love. I love this movie for lots of reasons but that is one of them. Even though mankind does all kinds of stupid and hateful things that is not all of who we are and we are capable of so much more. Which I thought was a great message for a Friday night. J

1 comment:

  1. That is a seriously strange but thought-provoking movie! It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember that scene. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete